top of page
Happy Family

Equitable Distribution

Dividing Your Assets

All property acquired during a marriage, regardless of whose name is on the title, is presumed to be marital property subject to what the law calls equitable distribution, which simply means a division of property in whatever proportion the court deems just and appropriate. Marital property in Pennsylvania is to be divided without regard to marital misconduct. The court considers the following factors:


  • The length of the marriage.

  • Any prior marriage of either party.

  • The age, health, station, amount and sources of income, vocational skills, employability, estate, liabilities and needs of each of the parties.

  • The contribution by one party to the education, training or increased earning power of the other party.

  • The opportunity of each party for future acquisitions of capital assets and income.

  • The sources of income of both parties, including, but not limited to, medical, retirement, insurance or other benefits.

  • The contribution or dissipation of each party in the acquisition, preservation, depreciation or appreciation of the marital property, including the contribution of a party as homemaker.

  • The value of the property set apart to each party.

  • The standard of living of the parties established during the marriage.

  • The economic circumstances of each party at the time the division of property is to become effective.

  • The Federal, State and local tax ramifications associated with each asset to be divided, distributed or assigned, which ramifications need not be immediate and certain.

  • The expense of sale, transfer or liquidation associated with a particular asset, which expense need not be immediate and certain.

  • Whether the party will be serving as the custodian of any dependent minor children.

Understand Your Options Going Forward

If you would like to discuss asset division with an attorney, reach out to our firm. You can call SDS Family Law Group at 570-820-9800 or arrange an appointment online via the form below.

bottom of page